Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feburary 18: Best of Intentions

Even the best of intentions and well thought-out plans sometime fail....

I was feeling rather smug with myself for posting a daily picture on "This is a Russian Life in Photos" for 14 days in a row. I mean, come on...14 days is a long time! Think of it in dog years! In fact, I was in the process of writing an post for my other blog regarding the daily pictures when my computer suddenly experienced a major electrical failure.

The man behind the curtain decided to reminded me not to get to smug with myself.

As Alex kindly posted on both of my blogs, I had no back-up plan for posting a picture. Using a public computer in Moscow is not really an option. Not only are the expensive to use, but there is a high probaility any data typed on a public computer is stolen. Russia is the number 1 producer of SPAM - and I do not mean canned meat - and second only to China in hacking / internet theft. Imagine if someone got a hold of the passwords for my blog and started posting content. This would no longer be a family friendly blog. No telling what you would find when you logged on to look at the daily photos.


Alex has taken my laptop to the an authorized dealer of the brand we own for repairs. ( I am not going to mention the brand as it is my former employer. I still own stock and want you to buy as many products from them as possible.) Anyway, the authorized dealer is located in the electronics market in Moscow. This is a place where you can find anything related to electronics, legal or illegal, that you want. There is not doubt in my mind the data on my computer is being stripped and sold as I write this sentence. Good news is I listed to my mom and do not have any of those type of photos that could be embarrassing stored on my laptop. I am sure she is proud!

In the mean time, I am now working on a new mini laptop Alex bought be when he was in Asia. ( Please no comments from my friends and co-workers at my former employer. This is what was available when he went to purchase the laptop. Think of it as a desperation purchase.) Alex and I had been talking about buying a min-laptop for when we travel; our hand was just forced sooner than later.

Here is a picture of my new mini-laptop:


Check Spelling

I think I will wait a couple of months before I congratulate myself again posting pictures daily. And before I do, I will make I have backed up my primary computer on to my external hard drive and my new little laptop is up and running. On April 18th I am going to have a party and invite everyone from Oz for my celebration. You can hear me laughing now at the man behind the curtain. Ha! Ha! Ha! I do like to live dangerously as long as I have a back-up!

I will start posting again daily....

No comments:

Post a Comment